Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Farming is not for the faint hearted

 We all have heard farming is not for the lazy and that it is heavy physical labor. Of course now we have equipment and tools that get it done faster and easier, but that's for the ones with deep pockets. Farming also teaches you patience and if you have even been a small time kitchen garden farmer you would know how much it breaks your heart to have a caterpillar have a meal on your green colored baby. Farmers are resilient, they'd spend a day or two sulking and then pick up the losses and probably shed a tear then start all over again. Plough again and sow the seeds again with the same passion as ever. Seeds of hope and a great harvest. Some farmers do give up due to heavy debts, but I have learnt first hand that if you aren't motivated enough to toil and see it get destroyed for nothing, farming is not for the light hearted. As I write this I am seeing my first ever crop of rice, full with grains, about to be harvested in 20 days get flattened by heavy unseasonal rains overnight. I am hopeful of some ROI and not a complete wipeout. Que sera sera, whatever will be will be. It's not up to you or me. I sowed and I will reap but Its beyond my scope to regulate taps in the heavens above.

No comments: