Sunday, September 11, 2011

This day a decade ago

My first memory of the 11th September attacks on New York's twin towers goes back to 12th Sept 2001. I was traveling to Ratnagiri for the NCC Nau Sainik camp. We had taken the 2350 Konkan Kanya\Madgoan express on the 11th and had reached Ratnagiri next morning at around 0500 hours. I remember peeping in to a neighbors newspaper and then snatching it to see the front page with two full size pictures of the twin towers in flames.I read through the entire section hurriedly and glanced at the pictures, a scary feeling overcame me as the scale of the entire event dawned. Next day onwards i was shut out to the outside world while in the camp but the stories of the days events were a hot topic for over several months. very recently the successful Ops in getting Bin Laden has revived those horrifying pictures again. The scale of the disaster was the worst in world history and it changed the world for ever.

No comments: